If you are thinking about joining a company, you should be given a chance to ask some questions. If not, run away. Assuming you can ask questions, here are a few questions you should ask to understand the environment you'll be working in.
- What process do you use to manage projects?
- If Scrum/XP, can you see the environment? Do you see whiteboards, pairing, etc.?
- If Waterfall, ask how the process works. When is QA involved? When is the customer?
- Are you allowed to talk to end users of the software you are building?
- What application server[s] do you use?
- What database[s] do you use?
- Do you use stored procedures or direct access?
- What version of the JDK/.NET do you use?
- What protocol[s] do you use to communicate between systems?
- Does the company use a proxy to talk to the outside network?
- What build system do you use (e.g. Ant, Maven, Gradle, TFS, etc)?
- Do you do unit testing?
- Do you do continuous integration?
- What does done look like for a development task?
- What does success look like for a project?